Monday, April 17, 2006

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." ~ Marcel Proust

 


This past Saturday, Alison May, was so kind as to feature my blog onBrocante Home, complete with a screenshot and hyperlinks! Brocante Home is perhaps the most beautiful and definitive source of domestic inspiration available online. At the beginning of this year, when I exchanged a life of professional workalcoholism for a life of blissful domesticity, I found Alison's website, accidentally, while searching for vintage motivation to sew retro aprons (although the sewing was very soon replaced with cooking). Immediately, I became another one of many, who begin each day with Brocante Home. I remain a loyal member of the Vintage Housekeepers, as I have discovered acceptance among a great, supportive global community of kindred spirits, all devoted to promoting and protecting a wonderfully productive and beautiful way of domestic life.

Words cannot properly express my sincere gratitude to Alison for her wonderful compliments, therefore, I can only offer a humble, grateful gesture by baking something, "scrumptious," in her honor. (Unfortunately, England is very far away from America, so I'll have to enjoy it in her honor, as well...) Since she is quite fond of lavender, I baked a lovely lavender chocolate torte, to be served with lavender whipped cream. I couldn't find any specifically satisfactory recipe, so I simply combined dried lavender flowers with basic ingredients found in the many common recipes for the standard flourless chocolate torte. I did the same for the whipped cream, by simply folding dried lavender flowers into heavy whipping cream, beaten with sugar, until stiff.
Thank you so very much, Alison, for your praise and approval...and also for the daily inspiration!
Until we meet for coffee,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment