Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Emeril Lagasse is my hero!



Much of my home menu planning results from Internet surfing, cookbook reading, and watching television cooking shows. While there are many valid sources of culinary inspiration readily available, I seem to always find quick and reliable excellence from Emeril Lagasse! I often incorporate his, "Essence," into many of my dishes and many compliments received have been the direct result of my cooking with Emeril. His influence is evident in my popular Salmon en Croute and it is common knowledge that I absolutely adore both baking and eating his savory dinner puddings on a very regular basis. When it comes to delicious comfort foods that are beautifully presented, endless possibilities are provided, courtesy of Emeril. Not surprising is that many of Emeril's recipes include his signature, "Essence." What is surprising, at least for me personally, is that this combination of assorted spices is sold ubiquitously in supermarkets. It is curious to me that this item would be a successful seller, when Emeril readily offers the recipe for making the spicy blend online (emerils.comfoodnetwork.com), in his cookbooks, and on his television shows. I suppose it must be a matter of convenience, but why would you buy it when you can make it?

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
(recipe courtesy of www.emerils.com and www.foodnetwork.com

Ingredients needed:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 2/3 cup.
"BAM!"

Until we meet for coffee,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment