Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Baking with Julia




One of my hobbies is reading cookbooks, I read them like others read novels.Baking with Julia is an excellent cookbook, featuring recipes from the popular PBS television series of the same name, where Julia Child hosted many talented chefs who baked beautiful, delicious recipes for our weekly viewing pleasure. (The series remains popular and is still broadcast on various PBS stations throughout the country.) While this book is filled with many scrumptious breads, cakes, and sweet desserts, it also includes several savory pastries as well.

Since my borrowed copy of the cookbook is due back at my local public library at the end of this week, today I baked with Julia. I started with a Tourte Milanese, followed by an Alsatian Onion Tart, both of which were really very good. The Tourte Milanese is a delicious layering of herbed eggs, spinach, roasted red peppers (I added peppers throughout the tourte), swiss cheese, and smoked ham. It is also a versatile dish, appropriate for casual get togethers or for a more formal dinner. The Alsatian Onion Tart is sweet and warm, and flavored with sauteed bacon (I also added some thyme to mine). It's already Wednesday and I have more recipes to make before returning this book. Perhaps I should renew my checkout and so I can domore baking with Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment